Friday, March 29, 2013

Life's crucial ingredients

Last night I was up making my family's favorite guilty pleasure... banana bread! I hadn't made my famous bread in a long time and I was anxious to make it for many different reasons. The idea of baking again, making something with love and not out of necessity and also because I simply wanted to have some banana bread. The night before that I made another family favorite, spaghetti with homemade pesto sauce. I have a bittersweet attitude toward cooking but this week I was in a sentimental mood and the more I cooked the more I thought about my family.

As a child some of my fondest memories are of me and my mother making chocolate chip cookies just because my mom wanted cookies; or my grandmother making her homemade rolls that my mother, uncle and I would beg her to make on a regular basis. My family wasn't too big on cooking ALL the time but when they did cook it was always beyond amazing and made me feel so much comfort. So as I got older and had a family of my own I realized that my apron and I would become close friends. Now that's not to say that my transition to being the family cook was an easy one. In fact I fumbled quite a bit and did NOT cook on a regular basis. But once I realized that cooking is not only a necessity but a way to show my family how much I love and care for them, the transition became less of a difficult one.

So what's the point of this whole story? When we sit down as a family and eat dinner we are not just the three amigos anymore. There is another person eating with us, enjoying our family time and hearing the stories of our day. I can only imagine what Baby Z will feel when she is physically sitting at the table with us. Maybe this will feel like home to her, maybe she will hear our stories and eat our meals and encounter a sense of comfort and peace knowing deep down inside that she has been a part of our dinner table long before she was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment